Here is How to install Linux Mint on Samsung Notebook 9 Pro with both the methods Straight installation and Dual Booting with other operating systems.
About Samsung Notebook 9 Pro
- Samsung Notebook 9 Pro is a stylish laptop with a 13.3-inch 1080p Display.
- It is powered by Intel Core i7-8565U processor with 8GB LPDDR3 of RAM and 256GB SSD for storage.
- Lastly, it has a fast charging battery of 55Wh.
- Manufacturer: Samsung
- CPU: 1.8GHz Intel Core i7-8550U quad-core processor
- RAM: 16GB DDR4
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce MX150 2GB with Intel UHD Graphics 620
- Storage: 512GB SSD
- Screen: 15-inch HD Screen
- Camera: 720p HD webcam
- Connectivity: Wifi, Bluetooth 4.1
- Weight: 1.28kg
What is Linux Mint?
- Linux Mint is a Linux community-driven operating system which is based on Ubuntu.
- It is very easy to use with a modern and elegant design with full out-of-the-box support of multimedia
- The development of Linux Mint started in 2006 with the release of Linux Mint 1.0 based on Kubuntu.
- Linux Mint 2.0 is based on Ubuntu following its own codebase.
Advantages of Installing Linux Mint in your Samsung Notebook 9 Pro
- Low memory usage
- Many Useful features such as automatically fixing issues which is better than Ubuntu
- Ease in installing themes
- Faster, Lighter and sleeker experience with software
- Plenty of applications available by default such as media Codecs and Flash
- Backup your Data
- A Formatted USB drive of 6/8GB
- Download Linux Mint image file from the official website – https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php. There are three versions of Linux Mint: Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce. Recommended: Cinnamon
Create a Bootable USB
- After installing Rufus simply select the ISO file from the file manager and accept all settings when the popup window appears.
- Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI and If your laptop has UEFI bios then select the other two options.
- For the Filesystem select NTFS option and select if your PC has UEFI bios then select FAT32.
- The default Cluster size option should be selected.
- Make sure all three options including Quick Format, Create a Bootable disk using and Create extended labels and icon files are selected.
- Finally, start the process and this software will automatically format and create bootable USB flash drive.
- Turn your Samsung Notebook 9 Pro off or restart and press F10 or F2 key to enter into BIOS.
- Disable “Secure Mode” and in Operating System mode selection to choose “UEFI AND CSM OS”
- The Boot Menu screen will display options such as SD Card and USB drive.
- Finally, change the boot order to USB and Reboot.
Instructions to Install Linux Mint on Samsung Notebook 9 Pro
Linux Mint will be installed on your machine after a few steps:
1. Selecting Language
- The First step is to select your desired language or the language you will be using in the operating system.
- Also, Language can also be changed later.
2. Keyboard Selection and Proprietary Software
- Choose your Keyboard Layout and Detect Keyboard Layout.
- To ensure keys working properly you can use the text box provided below. Now the Screen will ask you to install proprietary software.
- If you want to play media files like MP3 then you should select the option.
3. Target Installation
- The Linux Mint installation Wizard provides many options for where to install Linux Mint. If you want to install Linux Mint in the entire hard drive then Select “Erase disk and install Linux Mint”.
- The option will delete all your files permanently.
- So in case you want to install Linux Mint by erasing method then make sure that you have made a complete backup of your all files.
- The other two options are encrypting Linux Mint and Logical Volume Manager (a Linux system to manage data on the hard drive efficiently).
- Something Else is the option to create partitions or Dual booting with Windows or any other operating system. So if you want a clean install without any complications select these options else to select something else.
4. Dual Boot Windows and Linux Mint on Samsung Notebook 9 Pro
- If you have already installed Windows on your Laptop then start installing Linux Mint with Windows and if not then read the guide to install Windows on Samsung Notebook 9 Pro.
- Select the “Something Else” option to create partitions on your machine and “Continue”.
1. Create Partitions
- We have to create Root, swap, and home partitions
- Firstly, You have to create a root partition.
- Now Choose the free space option and click on +.
- Choose the amount of space you want in your root partition (20GB or 21485MB recommended)
- Option “Use as” should be “Ext4 file journaling system” and mount point as “/” (Root)
Now you have to create the Swap Partition
- Size of Swap partition Depends upon the size of the RAM and available disk space.
- Since the RAM size of Samsung Notebook 9 Pro is the 16GB size of Swap should be half the size of RAM.
Now you have to create the Home Partition
- You should provide maximum size to the Home partition as this area is where you will keep all your files.
- Finally, after creating all the partitions Home, Swap and Root, click on install now to continue the process of installing Linux Mint on your Samsung Notebook 9 Pro.
4. Select Timezone, Keyboard Layout, and Login Credentials
You have crossed all the hurdles after reaching this point. Now there are some easy steps left such as Selecting timezone, keyboard layout, and login credentials. Once the installation is completed two options will appear on the screen Continue testing live version or to restart the system. After restarting you will receive a beautiful Linux Operating system on your Screen.
Thanks for being patient and I hope the guide to install Linux Mint on Samsung Notebook 9 Pro was helpful.
Welcome to Samsung Notebook 9 Pro Linux Mint
Read also –
- Complete Samsung Notebook 9 Pro Overheating problem Fix
- Common Problems with Samsung Notebook 9 Pro with fix
- How to take a screenshot on Samsung Notebook 9 Pro
- Samsung Notebook 9 Pro Forum: Discuss all Problems and issues
Read some installation guides for Samsung Notebook 9 Pro: