Here is How to install Linux Mint on Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro with both the methods Straight installation and Dual Booting with other operating systems.
About Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro
- Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro comes with a 15.6-inches FHD with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- It is powered by Intel Kaby Lake Core i7-8550U Processor
8GB & 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM, and 256GB SSD storage.
- The graphics in Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro are powered by NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB.
- Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro is powered by an 8000 mAh battery.
- Finally, Windows 10 Home 64-bit is pre-installed.
What is Linux Mint?
- Linux Mint is a Linux community-driven operating system which is based on Ubuntu.
- It is very easy to use with a modern and elegant design with full out-of-the-box support of multimedia
- The development of Linux Mint started in 2006 with the release of Linux Mint 1.0 based on Kubuntu.
- Linux Mint 2.0 is based on Ubuntu following its own codebase.
Advantages of Installing Linux Mint in your Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro
- Low memory usage
- Many Useful features such as automatically fixing issues which is better than Ubuntu
- Ease in installing themes
- Faster, Lighter and sleeker experience with software
- Plenty of applications available by default such as media Codecs and Flash
- Backup your Data
- A Formatted USB drive of 6/8GB
- Download Linux Mint image file from the official website – https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php. There are three versions of Linux Mint: Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce. Recommended: Cinnamon
Create a Bootable USB
- After installing Rufus simply select the ISO file from the file manager and accept all settings when the popup window appears.
- Select the MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI and If your laptop has UEFI bios then select the other two options.
- For the Filesystem select NTFS option and select if your PC has UEFI bios then select FAT32.
- The default Cluster size option should be selected.
- Make sure all three options including Quick Format, Create a Bootable disk using and Create extended labels and icon files are selected.
- Finally, start the process and this software will automatically format and create a bootable USB flash drive.
Change boot-order to boot from USB in Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro
- Turn your Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro laptop off
- To enter into BIOS in Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro you can use BIOS Keys F2 or F12.
- Read the on-screen instructions and change the boot order to USB to Boot from USB.
Read also – Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro Boot from USB + BIOS key
Instructions to Install Linux Mint on Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro
Linux Mint will be installed on your machine after a few steps:
1. Selecting Language
- The First step is to select your desired language or the language you will be using in the operating system.
- Also, Language can also be changed later.
2. Keyboard Selection and Proprietary Software
- Choose your Keyboard Layout and Detect Keyboard Layout.
- To ensure keys working properly you can use the text box provided below. Now the Screen will ask you to install proprietary software.
- If you want to play media files like MP3 then you should select the option.
3. Target Installation
- The Linux Mint installation Wizard provides many options for where to install Linux Mint. If you want to install Linux Mint in the entire hard drive then Select “Erase disk and install Linux Mint”.
- The option will delete all your files permanently.
- So in case you want to install Linux Mint by erasing method then make sure that you have made a complete backup of your all files.
- The other two options are encrypting Linux Mint and Logical Volume Manager (a Linux system to manage data on the hard drive efficiently).
- Something Else is the option to create partitions or Dual booting with Windows or any other operating system. So if you want a clean install without any complications select these options else to select something else.
4. Dual Boot Windows and Linux Mint on Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro
- If you have already installed Windows on your Laptop then start installing Linux Mint with Windows and if not then read the guide to install Windows on Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro.
- Select the “Something Else” option to create partitions on your machine and “Continue”.
1. Create Partitions
- We have to create Root, swap, and home partitions
- Firstly, You have to create a root partition.
- Now Choose the free space option and click on +.
- Choose the amount of space you want in your root partition (20GB or 21485MB recommended)
- Option “Use as” should be “Ext4 file journaling system” and mount point as “/” (Root)
Now you have to create the Swap Partition
- Size of Swap partition Depends upon the size of the RAM and available disk space.
- Since the RAM size of Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro is the 16GB size of Swap should be half the size of RAM.
Now you have to create the Home Partition
- You should provide maximum size to the Home partition as this area is where you will keep all your files.
- Finally, after creating all the partitions Home, Swap and Root, click on install now to continue the process of installing Linux Mint on your Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro.
4. Select Timezone, Keyboard Layout, and Login Credentials
You have crossed all the hurdles after reaching this point. Now there are some easy steps left such as Selecting timezone, keyboard layout, and login credentials. Once the installation is completed two options will appear on the screen Continue testing live version or to restart the system. After restarting you will receive a beautiful Linux Operating system on your Screen.
Thanks for being patient and I hope the guide to install Linux Mint on Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro was helpful.
Welcome to Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro Linux Mint
Read also –
- Complete Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro Fan Noise Problem fix
- Common Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro Problems and their solutions
- Complete Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro Overheating problem fix
Read some installation guides for Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro: