Here is How to install Ubuntu 18.04 on Acer Predator 15 by just following a few steps you can try or install this operating system. So without wasting time lets discuss the whole procedure to install this OS on your Acer Predator 15.
About Acer Predator 15
- Acer Predator 15 comes with a 15.6-inch screen with a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels.
- It is powered by 2.6GHz Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor with 32GB RAM and 512GB SSD for the storage.
- The graphics are powered by Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M (4GB GDDR5 RAM) and Intel HD Graphics 530.
- Lastly, it weighs 7.5 pounds (3.4 kg).
- Ubuntu is a free and open-source Linux Debian operating system.
- Also, Ubuntu offers three editions Desktop, server, cloud, and Ubuntu core.
- It provides new releases every 6 months while LTS occurs every 2 years.
- Ubuntu is developed by Canonical which provides free security updates and support to its users.
- Furthermore, for installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on your Acer Predator 15 you meet minimum requirements such as 2GB RAM, Dual Core Processor (2 GH) and 25 GB free space.
Advantages of installing Ubuntu
- It is free of cost while the official Windows operating system is chargeable.
- Ubuntu is customizable while on Windows you can only customize some components.
- It is more secure.
- Runs without installing.
- Ubuntu is good for developers.
- It can be updated without restarting.
- Lastly, Ubuntu provides more resources.
instructions to install Ubuntu on Acer Predator 15
Make sure you have the latest Ubuntu Operating system Downloaded from the official Site, if not then download it from the official website.
1. Create a Bootable Disk
The downloaded ISO file is to be burned into a USB/DVD or flash drive which will be used to boot the computer.
Recommended drive – USB
Tips to Boot a USB Device
- After installing Rufus simply select the ISO file from the file manager and accept all settings when the popup window appears.
- Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI and If your laptop has UEFI bios then select the other two options.
- For the Filesystem select NTFS option and select if your PC has UEFI bios then select FAT32.
- The default Cluster size option should be selected.
- Make sure all three options including Quick Format, Create a Bootable disk using and Create extended labels and icon files are selected.
- Finally, start the process and this software will automatically format and create bootable USB flash drive.
2. Change boot-order to boot from USB in Acer Predator 15
- Power on or restart your Laptop
- As soon as the logo appears immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key to enter the BIOS.
- Press the RIGHT ARROW to go to Boot menu where you can change the Boot order to USB
- Save and Exit
- Now connect the bootable USB stick to the port and install the OS
3. Boot from the Drive USB/DVD
- After successfully booting your USB stick you need to turn off your Acer Predator 15 to install Ubuntu on it.
- Insert the USB in port and once you will restart your laptop the screen presenting “Try Ubuntu” and “Install Ubuntu” will be shown to you.
- You can either try ubuntu or install Ubuntu, Although Try option is for testing the operating system this process will also take some time.
- So if you are continuing with install Ubuntu then read the further guide.
4. Installing Ubuntu 18.04
There are many steps in the process of installing Ubuntu on your Acer Predator 15 which will be provided step-by-step below,
1. Choosing Keyboard
- Choose a keyboard layout and click Continue and by default English option is selected.
- Now you have to choose a type of installation as there are two types – Normal and Minimal installation. In our case, we have preferred the normal installation.
- Downloading updates while installing must be turned off for a faster installation.
- install third-party software for graphics and Wi-Fi hardware, MP3 and additional media formats should be selected only is internet connection is available while installation.
- Finally, click continue to proceed.
2. Selecting the installation type
- Erase the whole disk and install the Ubuntu: It is the easiest way to install Ubuntu on your Acer Predator 15. A fresh copy will be installed on your Laptop by erasing all the stored data on your PC.
- For security Encrypting new Ubuntu installation for security: Not to worry about this option as this option will ensure the security of your drives.
- Using LVM: LVM or Logical Volume Management
- Something Else: Use this option if you want to install Ubuntu along with existing Operating system such as Windows 10. In addition, only select this option if you are familiar with such technical task.
3. Creating Partitions for Something Else Option
- To create the partition on your own you can click “New Partition Table”
- Click on Continue and create a /boot partition of size 1.5GB. Select free space and click on the “+” symbol for creating a new partition.
- Now click on OK
- Let’s create the /home partition of size more than 18GB.
- Next, create partitions / of 6GB and /var of 4GB by using the process we have discussed with you.
- Lastly, Create the swap area partition of 2GB.
- Check that all the partitions are made correctly or not. Once you have created the partitions successfully you can proceed to the further steps by clicking Install Now.
5. Selecting Time Zone
Choose the desired time zone and click on continue
6. Providing user credentials
Give your information to the page prompted to you. The page will ask your name, computers name, username, and the password. Finally, click on continue to begin the process of installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on your Acer Predator 15.
7. Start installation
Installation may take around 5 to 10 minutes on your Microsoft Laptop which may depend on the speed of Laptop.
8. Restart and Login
Restart your computer and enter the login details you have provided previously in User credentials.
Welcome to Acer Predator 15 Ubuntu