To Overclock Lenovo Ideapad 320 you need to unlock the processor. Since the processor is locked you have to unlock this processor illegally and perform overclocking.
About Lenovo Ideapad 320
- Lenovo Ideapad 320 comes with a sleek design with a 15.6-inch panel with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels.
- It is powered by an Intel Core i3-7100U processor with 4GB or 8GB of RAM and a 500GB/ 1TB HDD.
- The disadvantages of purchasing this laptop are low battery life and a low-resolution display.
- However, the price of this laptop is $400 which is not worth for the specifications provided.
What is Overclocking?
Overclocking is the process of speeding up or increasing the clock speed than official efficiency provided by Manufacturer. In other words, overclocking is the method of configuring the hardware components to obtain extra utility and performance than the default. We have to take many precautions while overclocking your Intel Core i3-7100U.
Read also – Is overclocking Ram a safe process?
Remember: Overclocking can result in damage
Overclocking is method triggering main processor or graphics controller, but systems such as RAM are also involved in this process which leads to an increase in power consumption and fan noise. Due to overclocking many manufacturers gives the extra functionality of safety to deal with operating conditions outside the control of manufacturers. The disadvantage of overclocking your Intel processor is overheating and more power usage. Ultimately, heating will result in decreasing the life span of your CPU.
Read also – Lenovo Ideapad 330 Overheating problem fix
Since Overclocking is not possible on your Lenovo Ideapad 320 we will be using Intel Turbo Boost technology to improve the performance.
What is Intel Turbo Boost Technology?
- Intel Turbo Boost Technology is the feature in Intel’s processors which raises the operating frequency whenever there is high demanding task running.
- Furthermore, the feature accelerates the frequency of the processor when the operating system demands high performance.
- The Turbo boost concept can also be called as “Dynamic Overclocking”.
- This feature is enabled in the processors including Core i5, i7, i9, and Celeron processors.
Remember: Overclocking is never a safe process while turbo boost is always safe.
About Intel Core i3-7100U
- Manufacturer: Intel
- Product Segment: Mobile
- Base Frequency: 2.40 GHz
- Lithography: 14 nm
- Intel Turbo boost Technology: No
- Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 620
- Cache: 3MB
- TDP: 15W
- Maximum Memory Size: 32GB
- Cores: 4
- Threads: 8
Why you cannot overclock Intel Core i3-7100U?
- A CPU Locking is done to lock the clock multiplier permanently or till the clock limit is not removed.
- So it is a restriction on overclocking or to protect the CPU from further damages.
- These locked models are denoted with ‘K’ in Intel and ‘Black’ for the AMD
- Lastly, If you want to overclock your Intel Core i3-7100U then you have to unlock if possible.
- Your processor is locked as well as Intel Turbo Boost Technology is also not available there is no option to increase the performance.
- To monitor your CPU you can download and install CPU-Z and ThrottleStop
- Lastly, the Turbo boost is an automatic function provided in Intel processors.
List of all Unlocked Processors
Read also –
- How to overclock Intel Core i3-8300 processor
- How to overclock Snapdragon 439 processor
- Overclock Snapdragon 630 and increase performance
- Is Intel Atom x5-Z8500 Overclock Possible or not
Also, Related to Lenovo Ideapad 330,
- Lenovo Ideapad 330S Boot from USB guide for Linux and Windows
- How to install Ubuntu on Lenovo Ideapad 330S + Dual Boot Windows
- How to install Kali Linux on Lenovo Ideapad 330S from USB
- Common Lenovo Ideapad 330S Problems and their solutions