Popular social media site Tumblr allows users to publish and share content anonymously. Nonetheless, using anonymity to send threatening or harassing texts is also possible. There are a few actions you may take if you’re receiving anonymous messages on Tumblr and wish to find the sender.
How To Trace Anonymous Messages on Tumblr?
Step 1: Take screenshots
Before you do anything else, take screenshots of the anonymous messages you’ve received. These screenshots will be important evidence if you decide to report the sender to Tumblr or the authorities.
Step 2: Enable “Ask” or “Submit” messages
To track down the sender of an anonymous message, you’ll need to enable “Ask” or “Submit” messages on your Tumblr blog. This will allow you to see the IP address of anyone who sends you a message.
To enable “Ask” or “Submit” messages, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Tumblr account.
- Click on the “Settings” icon (the gear icon) at the top of your dashboard.
- Click on the name of your blog in the left-hand column.
- Scroll down to the “Ask” section and check the box next to “Let people ask questions.”
- If you want to enable “Submit” messages as well, scroll down to the “Submit” section and check the box next to “Let people submit posts.”
Step 3: View the IP address of the sender
Once you’ve enabled “Ask” or “Submit” messages, you’ll be able to view the IP address of anyone who sends you a message. Here’s how:
- Go to your blog’s dashboard.
- Click on the “Messages” tab.
- Find the anonymous message you want to track down and click on the “…” button next to it.
- Click on “Block” in the drop-down menu.
- A message will appear with the sender’s IP address. Write down or take a screenshot of this IP address.
Step 4: Use an IP address lookup tool
With the sender’s IP address in hand, you can use an IP address lookup tool to track down their location. There are several free IP address lookup tools available online, such as WhatIsMyIPAddress.com or IPLocation.net.
You can find out the sender’s location, including their city, state, or country, by entering the sender’s IP address into the tool. If you want to notify the authorities about the sender, this information may be helpful.
Step 5: Report the sender to Tumblr or the authorities
If you’re receiving harassing or threatening anonymous messages on Tumblr, it’s important to report the sender. You can report the sender to Tumblr by clicking on the “…” button next to the message and selecting “Report.” You can also report the sender to the authorities if you feel that their messages constitute a threat.
In conclusion, it is possible to trace anonymous posts on Tumblr, but it necessitates a few more procedures. You can find the sender of an anonymous message and take the necessary action by enabling “Ask” or “Submit” messages and using an IP address lookup tool. Always remember to take screenshots of any abusive or threatening messages and, if necessary, report the sender to Tumblr or the law.