To overclock Intel Atom x7-Z8700 you need to unlock the CPU. Since the processor is locked you cannot overclock your processor.
What is Overclocking?
Overclocking is the process of speeding up or increasing the clock speed than official efficiency provided by Manufacturer. In other words, overclocking is the method of configuring the hardware components to obtain extra utility and performance than the default. We have to take many precautions while overclocking your Intel Atom x7-Z8700.
Remember: Overclocking can result in damage
Read also – Is it safe to overclock my Nvidia Gtx 1080 ti?
Overclocking is method triggering main processor or graphics controller, but systems such as RAM are also involved in this process which leads to an increase in power consumption and fan noise. Due to overclocking many manufacturers gives the extra functionality of safety to deal with operating conditions outside the control of manufacturers. The disadvantage of overclocking your Intel processor is overheating and more power usage. Ultimately, heating will result in decreasing the life span of your CPU.
Difference between locked and unlocked processors
- You might have been noticed about locked and unlocked processors while purchasing
- Unlocked processors are made with unlocked clock multipliers and are denoted with K
- These unlocked processors can be overclocked by pairing with a proper chipset while locked processors are not overclockable.
- Earlier CPU’s were used to sold unlocked but now nearly every Intel CPU’s are locked
- However, the Intel Atom x7-Z8700 may overclock as every processor has the ability to perform more than safety limits but it will result in bricking.
Read also – Is overclocking Ram a safe process?
What is Intel Turbo Boost Technology?
- Intel Turbo Boost Technology is the feature in Intel’s processors which raises the operating frequency whenever there is high demanding task running.
- Furthermore, the feature accelerates the frequency of the processor when the operating system demands high performance.
- The Turbo boost concept can also be called as “Dynamic Overclocking”.
- This feature is enabled in the processors including Core i5, i7, i9, and Celeron processors.
Remember: Overclocking is never a safe process while turbo boost is always safe.
Intel Atom x7-Z8700 Specs
- Manufacturer: Intel
- Base Frequency: 1.60 GHz
- Lithography: 14 nm
- Vertical Segment: Mobile
- Cores: 4
- Threads: 4
- Cache: 2MB
- Max Memory Size: 8 GB
- Instructions set: 64-bit
Why Intel Atom x7-Z8700 Overclock is not possible?
- A CPU Locking is done to lock the clock multiplier permanently or till the clock limit is not removed.
- So it is a restriction on overclocking or to protect the CPU from further damages.
- These locked models are denoted with ‘K’ in Intel and ‘Black’ for the AMD
- Lastly, If you want to overclock your v then you have to unlock if possible.
- The maximum turbo frequency of this processor is 1.92 GHz.
Read also –