Can Anybody overclock Intel Core i3-8145U processor if yes then please let me know?
Thanks in Advance
To overclock Intel Core i3-8145U processor you need to unlock the CPU. But you can increase the performance of your Processor by setting to maximum turbo frequency using ThrottleStop.
What is Overclocking?
Overclocking is the process of speeding up or increasing the clock speed than official efficiency provided by Manufacturer. In other words, overclocking is the method of configuring the hardware components to obtain extra utility and performance than the default. We have to take many precautions while overclocking your Intel i3-8145U.
Read also – Is overclocking Ram a safe process?
Remember: Overclocking can result in damage
Overclocking is method triggering main processor or graphics controller, but systems such as RAM are also involved in this process which leads to an increase in power consumption and fan noise. Due to overclocking many manufacturers gives the extra functionality of safety to deal with operating conditions outside the control of manufacturers. The disadvantage of overclocking your Intel processor is overheating and more power usage. Ultimately, heating will result in decreasing the life span of your CPU.
Read also – Is it safe to overclock my Nvidia Gtx 1080 ti?
Difference between locked and unlocked processors
- You might have been noticed about locked and unlocked processors while purchasing
- Unlocked processors are made with unlocked clock multipliers and are denoted with K
- These unlocked processors can be overclocked by pairing with a proper chipset while locked processors are not overclockable.
- Earlier CPU’s were used to sold unlocked but now nearly every Intel CPU’s are locked
- However, the Intel Core i3-8145U processor may overclock as every processor has the ability to perform more than safety limits but it will result in bricking.
About Intel Core i3-8145U Processor
- Frequency: 2100 MHz
- Maximum turbo frequency: 3900MHz
- Clock Multiplier: 21
- Maximum operating temperature: 100°C
Why you cannot overclock Intel Core i3-8145U Processor?
- A CPU Locking is done to lock the clock multiplier permanently or till the clock limit is not removed.
- So it is a restriction on overclocking or to protect the CPU from further damages.
- These locked models are denoted with ‘K’ in Intel and ‘Black’ for the AMD
- Lastly, If you want to overclock your Intel Core i3-8145U processor then you have to unlock if possible.
- However, you can overclock or increase the clock speed or pushing your processor Maximum turbo boost by using Intel Turbo Boost Technology.
List of all Unlocked Processors
Remember: Overclocking is never safe and it may result in damage while turbo boost is a safe process but it’s all at your own risk.
How to safely overclock Intel Core i3-8145U processor
- To enable or disable Turbo Boost
- Select System Utility screenFrom the
- Enter. and press
- Select a setting and press Enter.
- Enabled: To Enable hyperthreading technology.
- Disabled – To reduce power usage and get stable performance.
- Finally, Press F10
- To monitor your CPU you can download and install CPU-Z and ThrottleStop
- Lastly, the Turbo boost is an automatic function provided in Intel processors.