Here is the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Ubuntu 18.04 Installation guide using a USB drive. We will explain each and every step to install this Linux Operating system on your Microsoft Surface Pro 3.
- Ubuntu is a free and open-source Linux Debian operating system.
- Also, Ubuntu offers three editions desktop, server, cloud, and Ubuntu core.
- It provides new releases every 6 months while LTS occurs every 2 years.
- Ubuntu is developed by Canonical which provides free security updates and support to its users.
- Furthermore, for installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on your Surface Pro 3 you meet minimum requirements such as 2GB RAM, Dual Core Processor (2 GH) and 25 GB free space.
What’s new in Ubuntu 18.04
- It is the Latest Long term support version of Ubuntu for PCs and laptops.
Minimum Requirement to install Ubuntu 18.04
- 2 GHz dual-core processor
- 2 GB of system memory
- 25 GB of free hard drive space or more
- Use either a USB port or DVD Drive for the installer media
- Internet access is optional
About Microsoft Surface Pro 3
- Microsoft Surface Pro 3 comes with a 12-inch display with a resolution of 2,160 by 1,440.
- It is powered by 1.7 GHz Core i7 processor with storage options 256 GB or 512 GB storage with 8 GB RAM and 64 GB or 128 GB storage with 4 GB RAM.
- Battery Life of Surface Pro 3 is Up to 9 hours.
- Finally, Windows 10 is pre-installed.
You can also Discuss problems or share solutions regarding Microsoft Surface Pro 3 on Infofuge Community.
Advantages of installing Ubuntu on Surface Pro 3
- It is free of cost while the official Windows operating system is chargeable.
Ubuntu can be run without installing and can be used for testing purposes.
- You can simply run it live from your USB or DVD drive and it can be a portable OS.
- Ubuntu is customizable while on Windows you can only customize some components.
It is more secure.
- Ubuntu is good for developers.
- It provides Unix utilities combined with Piping and redirection which can blow any programmers mind.
- The Unix shell can be customized to make it easy to write the programs.
It can be updated without restarting.
- The way Ubuntu has been created it is very difficult for a virus to survive so there is no need to install anti-virus software in Ubuntu.
Instructions to install Ubuntu on Surface Pro 3
Make sure you have the latest Ubuntu Operating system Downloaded from the official Site, if not then download it from the official website.
1. Create a Bootable Disk
The downloaded ISO file is to be burned into a USB/DVD or flash drive which will be used to boot the computer.
Recommended drive – USB
Tips to Boot a USB Device
- After installing Rufus simply select the Ubuntu ISO file from the file manager and accept all settings when the popup window appears.
- Finally, start the process and this software will automatically format and create bootable USB flash drive.
2. Change boot-order to boot from USB in Microsoft Surface Pro 3
- Turn your Microsoft laptop off
- Once your Microsoft Surface Pro 3 has turned off, press and hold the volume-up button.
- With the volume-up button held down, press and release the power button.
- Continue holding the volume up button until the Windows logo no longer appears on the screen.
- You should now see the Surface UEFI.
- Now Select Boot configuration.
- Next, Select the USB Storage and drag it to the top of the list.
- You can also swipe left on USB Storage to boot to the device immediately.
- Finally, click on Exit and then select Restart Now.
Information provided by Microsoft
3. Boot from the Drive USB/DVD
- After successfully booting your USB stick you need to turn off your Microsoft Surface Pro 3 to install Ubuntu on it.
- Insert the USB in port and once you will restart your laptop the screen presenting “Try Ubuntu” and “Install Ubuntu” will be shown to you.
- You can either try Ubuntu or install Ubuntu, Although the Try option is for testing the operating system this process will also take some time.
- So if you are continuing with install Ubuntu then read the further guide.
4. Installing Ubuntu 18.04
There are many steps in the process of installing Ubuntu on your Surface Pro 3 which will be provided step-by-step below,
1. Choosing Keyboard
- Choose a keyboard layout and click Continue and by default English option is selected.
- Now you have to choose a type of installation as there are two types – Normal and Minimal installation. In our case, we have preferred the normal installation.
- Downloading updates while installing must be turned off for a faster installation.
- install third-party software for graphics and Wi-Fi hardware, MP3 and additional media formats should be selected only is internet connection is available while installation.
- Finally, click continue to proceed.
2. Selecting the installation type
- Erase the whole disk and install the Ubuntu: It is the easiest way to install Ubuntu on your Surface Pro 3. A fresh copy will be installed on your Laptop by erasing all the stored data on your PC.
- For security Encrypting new Ubuntu installation for security: Not to worry about this option as this option will ensure the security of your drives.
- Using LVM: LVM or Logical Volume Management
- Something Else: Use this option if you want to install Ubuntu along with existing Operating system such as Windows 10. In addition, only select this option if you are familiar with such technical task.
3. Creating Partitions for Something Else Option
- To create the partition on your own you can click “New Partition Table”
- Click on Continue and create a /boot partition of size 1.5GB. Select free space and click on the “+” symbol for creating a new partition.
- Now click on OK
- Let’s create the /home partition of size more than 18GB.
- Next, create partitions / of 6GB and /var of 4GB by using the process we have discussed with you.
- Lastly, Create the swap area partition of 2GB.
- Check that all the partitions are made correctly or not. Once you have created the partitions successfully you can proceed to the further steps by clicking Install Now.
5. Selecting Time Zone
Choose the desired time zone and click on continue
6. Providing user credentials
Give your information to the page prompted to you. The page will ask your name, computer name, username, and password. Finally, click on continue to begin the process of installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on your Surface Pro 3.
7. Start installation
Installation may take around 5 to 10 minutes on your Microsoft Laptop which may depend on the speed of the Laptop.
8. Restart and Login
Restart your computer and enter the login details you have provided previously in User credentials.
Welcome to Surface Pro 3 Ubuntu
In conclusion, we have successfully discussed the complete process of installing Ubuntu 18.04 on Surface Pro 3. Enjoy your new operating system.