Here is Surface Pro 4 Boot from USB guide for installing Windows 10, Ubuntu, Arch Linux or any other Linux Distro on your Laptop.
About Microsoft Surface Pro 4
- Surface Pro 4 comes with a larger and sharper screen and is the well-crafted tablet to replace a laptop.
- It is powered by a 2.4GHz Intel Core i5-6300U processor with 8GB LPDDR3 of RAM.
- Surface Pro 4 has a 256GB SSD of Storage capacity.
- Connectivity options provided are 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0.
- Disadvantages of purchasing this laptop are Intel Core m3 is at entry level and Battery life needs improvement.
Read the full review at TechRadar
What is Boot from USB?
- It is a process of starting a Computer operating system from the USB drive.
- Booting from USB enables to get booting information in a USB rather than using a hard disk or the CD drive.
- All new operating systems support to boot from USB in Surface Pro 4.
Advantages of Booting from USB?
There are many advantages of Booting from USB over other booting options such as DVD and other which are discussed below,
- No need to purchase any blank CD and you can fill your own stuff along with the ISO file.
- USB Drives are reusable
- Faster read and write than CD
- Very convenient and portable
Disadvantages of Booting from USB
- Booting from USB is depended on the Hardware such as BIOS, motherboard and flash drive model as it may be working with one computer and refuses to another.
- CD has wider support and USB boot functionality is not available for may operating system.
Ways to Boot From USB in Surface Pro 4
1. Surface Pro 4 Boot from USB using Rufus
- After installing Rufus simply select the ISO file from the file manager and accept all settings when the popup window appears.
- Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI and If your laptop has UEFI bios then select the other two options.
- For the Filesystem select NTFS option and select if your PC has UEFI bios then select FAT32.
- The default Cluster size option should be selected.
- Make sure all three options including Quick Format, Create a Bootable disk using and Create extended labels and icon files are selected.
- Finally, start the process and this software will automatically format and create bootable USB flash drive.
2. Surface Pro 4 Boot from USB using Unetbootin
UNetbootin enables you to create a bootable USB drive for Live operating system for Ubuntu and other Linux distributions. To create a Bootable Live USB drive follow the instructions below,
- UNetbootin installs the Linux Distros ISO files for you if you want to use your own downloaded ISO file then follow instructions below,
- To use already downloaded ISO file select the disk image option and provide the location of the file by clicking “…”.
- After selecting the Linux Distribution or ISO file Format your USB drive as FAT32.
- Target the USB drive on your Surface Pro 4 and click on OK.
- The process will automatically start and in case the installation doesn’t complete you can reformat USB as FAT32.
To change the Boot order to USB in Surface Pro 4
- Turn off your Surface Pro 4
- Now insert the Bootable USB which you have created with the help of software available above.
- Next, Press and hold the volume down button or BIOS Key of your Surface Pro 4
- Now press and release the power button while holding down the volume-down button on your Laptop.
- As soon as the Surface logo appears you have to release the volume-down button.
- Finally, your Surface Pro 4 should now boot from USB.
Read some installation guides,