Computers such as Toshiba Satellite E305-S1990x contain a complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) battery. The use of this battery is to run CMOS memory. CMOS battery keeps the system clock running even when the computer is turned off. Sometimes, the CMOS Memory can get corrupted or the CMOS battery can fail. These issues can be fixed by simple battery reinsertion or replacement. By following these simple methods you can reset your CMOS while clearing all the faulty or incorrect data.
There can be many reasons for clearing CMOS on your computers such as resetting a BIOS or system-level password, or you have suspected some kind of problem while making changes to the BIOS. However, we have provided some of the best ways to clear CMOS on any laptop or computer easily.
Toshiba is a world leader and innovator in pioneering high technology, a diversified manufacturer and marketer of advanced electronic and electrical products spanning from information & communications systems, digital consumer products, electronic devices and components, power systems, to industrial and social infrastructure systems and home appliances.
What is BIOS?
- BIOS or (basic input/output system) is the first program that loads whenever your computer is turned on.
- Furthermore, it is software that controls the display, keyboard, drives, and more.
- Computers are now coming with UEFI firmware installed instead of BIOS but there is a similar role of UEFI too.
- It is made accessible to a nonvolatile read-only memory chip and whenever your computer is turned on the processor passes control to the BIOS.
Uses of BIOS
One can perform many functions with BIOS UI such as:
- Setting or adjusting the system clock
- For Enabling and disabling some system components and Hardware configuration
- Lastly, Selecting boot drives and Set password prompts for providing secured access to the BIOS user interface.
How To Clear CMOS on Toshiba Satellite E305-S1990x?
Here is the step by step process to clear CMOS on your Toshiba Satellite E305-S1990x
Turn off your Toshiba Satellite E305-S1990x, Now unplug the power connectors and remove the battery.
Open the display to its full extension till your laptop lies flat.
Insert a pry tool underneath the right side of the hinge cover (between the keyboard and display) and gently pull off the hinge cover.
Unscrew the two screws located at the top of the keyboard. Lift the keyboard and disconnect the keyboard ribbon cable from the computer. Set the keyboard aside.
Insert your tool under the battery and gently remove it. After removing the battery, the CMOS will reset automatically. Furthermore, it’s you wish to insert a new battery.
To reassemble your device you can follow all the previous steps.