Here is the Lenovo ThinkPad T480s Boot from USB. There are many ways to boot from USB for installing Windows 10, Ubuntu, Arch Linux or any other Linux Distro.
About Lenovo ThinkPad T480s
- Lenovo ThinkPad T480s comes with a 14-inch 1080p display.
- It is powered by 8th Gen Intel Core processor with 8GB RAM and 1TB SSD.
- The graphics in Lenovo ThinkPad T480s are powered by Intel UHD 620 graphics card.
- Lenovo ThinkPad T480s has a battery capacity of 45 Watt Hours and it also supports the quick charge, up to 80% charge in less than 1 hour.
- The pros of purchasing this laptop are fast performance and long battery life while the con is dim display.
- Finally, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit is pre-installed.
What is Boot from USB?
- It is a process of starting a Computer operating system from the USB drive.
- Booting from USB enables to get booting information in a USB rather than using a hard disk or the CD drive.
- All new operating systems support to Boot from USB in Lenovo ThinkPad T480s.
Advantages of Booting from USB?
There are many advantages of Booting from USB over other booting options such as DVD and other which are discussed below,
- No need to purchase any blank CD and you can fill your own stuff along with the ISO file.
- USB Drives are reusable
- Faster read and write than CD
- Very convenient and portable
Disadvantages of Booting from USB
- Booting from USB is depended on the Hardware such as BIOS, motherboard and flash drive model as it may be working with one computer and refuses to another.
- CD has wider support and USB boot functionality is not available for may operating system.
Ways to Boot From USB in Lenovo ThinkPad T480s
1. Lenovo ThinkPad T480s Boot from USB using Rufus
- After installing Rufus simply select the ISO file from the file manager and accept all settings when the popup window appears.
- Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI and If your laptop has UEFI bios then select the other two options.
- For the Filesystem select NTFS option and select if your PC has UEFI bios then select FAT32.
- The default Cluster size option should be selected.
- Make sure all three options including Quick Format, Create a Bootable disk using and Create extended labels and icon files are selected.
- Finally, start the process and this software will automatically format and create bootable USB flash drive.
2. Lenovo ThinkPad T480s Boot from USB using Unetbootin
UNetbootin enables you to create a bootable USB drive for Live operating system for Ubuntu and other Linux distributions. To create a Bootable Live USB drive follow the instructions below,
- UNetbootin installs the Linux Distros ISO files for you if you want to use your own downloaded ISO file then follow instructions below,
- To use already downloaded ISO file select the disk image option and provide the location of the file by clicking “…”.
- After selecting the Linux Distribution or ISO file Format your USB drive as FAT32.
- Target the USB drive on your Lenovo ThinkPad T480s and click on OK.
- The process will automatically start and in case the installation doesn’t complete you can reformat USB as FAT32.
Change boot-order to boot from USB in Lenovo ThinkPad T480s
- Turn your Lenovo ThinkPad off
- Now connect the bootable USB stick to the port.
- Press F12 key as soon as Thinkpad logo appears.
- Now Under Boot Menu choose your USB drive by using Arrow keys.
Read some installation guides,