Here is How to Install Kali Linux on Lenovo Yoga 910. All the advantages and disadvantages of installing Kali Linux has been provided below.
About Lenovo Yoga 910
- Lenovo Yoga 910 comes with a 13.9-inch 4K display with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels.
- It is powered by Intel Core™ i7 processor with 16GB of RAM and 1 TB PCIe SSD Storage.
- The graphics are powered by Intel® HD graphics.
- It gives up to 15.5 hours of battery life
- Finally, Windows 10 is pre-installed.
About Kali Linux
Kali Linux is a Debian-based Linux distribution which is based on security tasks such as Penetration Testing, Computer Forensics, Security research, and Reverse Engineering. The operating system is developed and maintained by Offensive security. Furthermore, there are more than 600 penetration testing tools included in Kali Linux. Lastly, it has many advantages over other operating systems available which are discussed below,
Advantages of installing Kali Linux
There are many advantages of installing Kali Linux on your Lenovo Yoga 910 which is as follows,
- Advanced Penetration tools available: There are more than 600+ advanced penetration tools available on Kali Linux.
- Open-sourced: Kali Linux is an open-sourced system where all the codes can be easily seen and developed by others. The open development tree helps users to see the development at each and every step.
- Free Tools: This the main reason why people use Kali Linux.
- Wireless support nowhere possible: Kali Linux provides to connect as many as WiFi spots or USB ports at one time. It also makes to be compatible with numerous USB.
- Multiple language support: Multiple language support is not possible in other operating systems where users can get the support of their local language.
- Support for both ARMEL and ARMHF systems: ARM-based controllers like Rasberry Pi and ARMH is supported by Kali Linux.
- A minimum of 20 GB disk space for the Kali Linux install.
- RAM minimum: 1GB, and recommended: 2GB or more.
- USB or CD-DVD Drive boot support.
Instructions to install Kali Linux on Lenovo Yoga 910
1. Download Kali Linux
- Download Kali Linux from the official website if you have not downloaded yet
- Boot the ISO file from USB by following instructions below.
- Lastly, change the boot order to the USB drive from BIOS settings.
2. Create a Bootable USB drive
Download Rufus-3.4 for Windows
- After installing Rufus simply select the ISO file from the file manager and accept all settings when the popup window appears.
- Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI and If your laptop has UEFI bios then select the other two options.
- For the Filesystem select NTFS option and select if your PC has UEFI bios then select FAT32.
- The default Cluster size option should be selected.
- Make sure all three options including Quick Format, Create a Bootable disk using and Create extended labels and icon files are selected.
- Finally, start the process and this software will automatically format and create bootable USB flash drive.
3. Change boot-order to boot from USB in Lenovo Yoga 910
- Enter into BIOS and open the Exit Menu.
- Set OS Optimized Defaults as Other OS or, go to the Boot tab.
- Set the Boot Mode to Legacy Support and then set USB Boot to Enabled.
- Press F9 (Fn+F9) to Load Default Settings, then press F10 (Fn+F10) to save the BIOS.
- Now plug in Kali Linux bootable USB disk or stick.
- Restart PC, press F12 (Fn+F12) to boot from USB disk.
- Plug in Kali Linux bootable USB disk (USB Stick).
- Shut down the machine first, then press Novo Button.
- Choose Boot Menu, select boot from USB disk.
- Finally, Reboot your Laptop and install the OS.
More information at Lenovo
4. Install Kali Linux on your Lenovo Yoga 910
- After booting your USB or CD drive you can turn off your computer and insert the bootable USB in your Laptop.
- Now turn on the PC and continue with the process of installing Kali Linux on Lenovo Yoga 910.
- You can either install Kali Linux or run it live by using your bootable USB stick. But Kali Live will not save your data so it’s better to install Kali Linux completely. In case, you don’t want to lose the windows data prefer Dual-Booting Kali Linux with Windows.
- Let’s continue with the graphical install option provided above.
- After clicking on continue the image will get installed in the hard drive in your system. Next, it will be asking the hostname where you can provide any name such as Kali.
- Now enter the password for the root account.
- Set the time zone. Now the installer will provide 4 options for the Partition disks where you should choose “Guided-use entire disk and set up encrypted LVM”.
- Select the disk to be partitioned. Either you can keep all the files in one partition or keep all the files in different partitions. If you are not sure about how to create separate partitions then keep all the files in one partition.
- This is the last chance to review all the options you have selected after clicking on continuing the process of installing Kali Linux on Lenovo Yoga 910 will start and complete.
- Click yes to the network mirrors option NOTE! If you select “NO” option in this screen, you will NOT be able to install packages from Kali Linux repositories.
- Now install GRUB Boot Loader on the hard disk.
- Finally, click on Continue to reboot into your new Kali Linux installation on your Lenovo Yoga 910.
Welcome To Lenovo Yoga 910 Kali Linux
Read also –
- Common Lenovo Yoga 910 Problems and their solutions
- Complete Lenovo Yoga 910 Overheating problem fix
Read some installation guides: