Here is the complete procedure to install Ubuntu 18.04 on HP 250 G6. Follow each and every step for a successful install of this Linux operating system on your Laptop.
What is Ubuntu?
- Ubuntu is a free and open-source Linux Debian operating system.
- Also, Ubuntu offers three editions Desktop, server, cloud, and Ubuntu core.
- It provides new releases every 6 months while LTS occurs every 2 years.
- Ubuntu is developed by Canonical which provides free security updates and support to its users.
- Furthermore, for installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on your HP 250 G6 you meet minimum requirements such as 2GB RAM, Dual Core Processor (2 GH) and 25 GB free space.
Advantages of installing Ubuntu on your HP 250 G6
- It is free of cost while the official Windows operating system is chargeable.
- Ubuntu can be run without installing and can be used for testing purpose. You can simply run it live from your USB or DVD drive and it can be a portable OS.
- Ubuntu is customizable while on Windows you can only customize some components.
It is more secure.
- Ubuntu is good for developers. It provides Unix utilities combined with Piping and redirection which can blow any programmers mind. The Unix shell can be customized to make it easy to write the programs.
- It can be updated without restarting.
- The way Ubuntu has been created it is very difficult for a virus to survive so there is no need to install anti-virus software in Ubuntu.
Minimum Requirements to install Ubuntu 18.04
- 2 GHz dual-core processor
- 2 GB of system memory
- 25 GB of free hard drive space or more
- Use either a USB port or DVD Drive for the installer media
- Internet access is optional
About HP 250 G6
- HP 250 G6 comes with 15.6-inch HD LED-backlit display with the resolution of 1,366 x 768 pixels.
- It is powered by Intel Celeron Dual Core N3060 processor with 4GB DDR4 RAM and 1TB storage.
- The graphics are powered by Intel HD graphics.
- It has a 3-cell Li-ion battery which runs for a considerable period of time.
- Lastly, the laptop is powered by Windows 10 pro and weights around 2.1KG.
Instructions to install Ubuntu on HP 250 G6
Make sure you have the latest Ubuntu Operating system Downloaded from the official Site, if not then download it from the official website.
1. Create a Bootable Disk
The downloaded ISO file is to be burned into a USB/DVD or flash drive which will be used to boot the computer.
Recommended drive – USB
Tips to Boot a USB Device
[su_button url=”https://www.infofuge.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/rufus-3.4.exe” target=”blank”]Download Rufus[/su_button]
- After installing Rufus simply select the ISO file from the file manager and accept all settings when the popup window appears.
- Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI and If your laptop has UEFI bios then select the other two options.
- For the Filesystem select NTFS option and select if your PC has UEFI bios then select FAT32.
- The default Cluster size option should be selected.
- Make sure all three options including Quick Format, Create a Bootable disk using and Create extended labels and icon files are selected.
- Finally, start the process and this software will automatically format and create bootable USB flash drive.
Read also – HP 250 G6 Boot From USB for Linux and Windows
2. Change boot-order to boot from USB in HP 250 G6
- Turn your HP 250 G6 off
- Now connect the bootable USB stick to the port.
- As soon as you click on the power button start pressing Esc button or any other button provided by the manufacturer to Enter into BIOS.
- From the Menu Press F9 to open Boot Device options
- If you can see your USB device in the Boot sequence select it.
- Finally, Reboot your Laptop
3. Boot from the Drive USB/DVD
- After successfully booting your USB stick you need to turn off your HP 250 G6 to install Ubuntu on it.
- Insert the USB in port and once you will restart your laptop the screen presenting “Try Ubuntu” and “Install Ubuntu” will be shown to you.
- You can either try ubuntu or install Ubuntu, Although Try option is for testing the operating system this process will also take some time.
- So if you are continuing with install Ubuntu then read the further guide.
4. Installing Ubuntu 18.04
There are many steps in the process of installing Ubuntu on your HP 250 G6 which will be provided step-by-step below,
1. Choosing Keyboard
- Choose a keyboard layout and click Continue and by default English option is selected.
- Now you have to choose a type of installation as there are two types – Normal and Minimal installation. In our case, we have preferred the normal installation.
- Downloading updates while installing must be turned off for a faster installation.
- install third-party software for graphics and Wi-Fi hardware, MP3 and additional media formats should be selected only is internet connection is available while installation.
- Finally, click continue to proceed.
2. Selecting the installation type
- Erase the whole disk and install the Ubuntu: It is the easiest way to install Ubuntu on your HP 250 G6. A fresh copy will be installed on your Laptop by erasing all the stored data on your PC.
- For security Encrypting new Ubuntu installation for security: Not to worry about this option as this option will ensure the security of your drives.
- Using LVM: LVM or Logical Volume Management
- Something Else: Use this option if you want to install Ubuntu along with existing Operating system such as Windows 10. In addition, only select this option if you are familiar with such technical task.
3. Creating Partitions for Something Else Option
- To create the partition on your own you can click “New Partition Table”
- Click on Continue and create a /boot partition of size 1.5GB. Select free space and click on the “+” symbol for creating a new partition.
- Now click on OK
- Let’s create the /home partition of size more than 18GB.
- Next, create partitions / of 6GB and /var of 4GB by using the process we have discussed with you.
- Lastly, Create the swap area partition of 2GB.
- Check that all the partitions are made correctly or not. Once you have created the partitions successfully you can proceed to the further steps by clicking Install Now.
5. Selecting Time Zone
Choose the desired time zone and click on continue
6. Providing user credentials
Give your information to the page prompted to you. The page will ask your name, computers name, username, and the password. Finally, click on continue to begin the process of installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on your HP 250 G6.
7. Start installation
Installation may take around 5 to 10 minutes on your HP Laptop which may depend on the speed of Laptop.
8. Restart and Login
Restart your computer and enter the login details you have provided previously in User credentials.
Welcome to Ubuntu
In conclusion, we have successfully discussed the complete process of installing Ubuntu 18.04 on HP 250 G6. Enjoy your new operating system.
Read also –
Read some installation guides