To Overclock Lenovo Yoga 720 you need to unlock the processor. Since the processor is locked you have to unlock this processor illegally and perform overclocking.
About Lenovo Yoga 720
- There are many benefits of purchasing Lenovo Yoga 720 such as good battery life, Colorful image output, and a sleek design.
- The Laptop’s vibrant screen is a 1080p touch screen which is far brighter and vivid than the competition.
- Lenovo Yoga 720 is powered by an Intel Core i5-8250U CPU with 8GB of RAM and storage of 256GB.
- Lastly, Windows 10 is pre-installed in the Laptop.
What is Overclocking?
Overclocking is the process of speeding up or increasing the clock speed than official efficiency provided by Manufacturer. In other words, overclocking is the method of configuring the hardware components to obtain extra utility and performance than the default. We have to take many precautions while overclocking your Intel Core i5-8250U.
Read also – Is overclocking Ram a safe process?
Remember: Overclocking can result in damage
Overclocking is method triggering main processor or graphics controller, but systems such as RAM are also involved in this process which leads to an increase in power consumption and fan noise. Due to overclocking many manufacturers gives the extra functionality of safety to deal with operating conditions outside the control of manufacturers. The disadvantage of overclocking your Intel processor is overheating and more power usage. Ultimately, heating will result in decreasing the life span of your CPU.
Read also – Lenovo Ideapad 330 Overheating problem fix
Since Overclocking is not possible on your Lenovo Yoga 720 we will be using Intel Turbo Boost technology to improve the performance.
What is Intel Turbo Boost Technology?
- Intel Turbo Boost Technology is the feature in Intel’s processors which raises the operating frequency whenever there is high demanding task running.
- Furthermore, the feature accelerates the frequency of the processor when the operating system demands high performance.
- The Turbo boost concept can also be called as “Dynamic Overclocking”.
- This feature is enabled in the processors including Core i5, i7, i9, and Celeron processors.
Remember: Overclocking is never a safe process while turbo boost is always safe.
About Intel Core i5-8250U
- Manufacturer: Intel
- Product Segment: Mobile
- Base Frequency: 1.60 GHz
- Lithography: 14 nm
- Maximum Turbo Frequency: 3.40 GHz
- Graphics: Intel® UHD Graphics 620
- Cache: 6MB
- TDP: 15W
- Maximum Memory Size: 32GB
- Cores: 4
- Threads: 8
Why you cannot overclock Intel Core i5-8250U?
- A CPU Locking is done to lock the clock multiplier permanently or till the clock limit is not removed.
- So it is a restriction on overclocking or to protect the CPU from further damages.
- These locked models are denoted with ‘K’ in Intel and ‘Black’ for the AMD
- Lastly, If you want to overclock your Intel Core i5-8250U then you have to unlock if possible.
- Intel Turbo Boost technology is available for your Processor with the maximum turbo frequency of 3.40 GHz.
List of all Unlocked Processors
To Enable or Disable Intel Core i5-8250U Turbo Boost
- To enable or disable Turbo Boost in Intel Core i5-8250U
- Select System Utility screenFrom the
- Enter. and press
- Select a setting and press Enter.
- Enabled: To Enable hyperthreading technology.
- Disabled – To reduce power usage and get stable performance.
- Finally, Press F10
- To monitor your CPU you can download and install CPU-Z and ThrottleStop
- Lastly, the Turbo boost is an automatic function provided in Intel processors.
Read also –